Friday, January 14, 2011

Last Lecture, Student Discount

Our SSP Program for today included our final three lectures, but did not include any trip into the city. Our first lecture was on Irish history during the 18th Century. This was by far the most interesting lecture given throughout the week. From the start, I enjoyed the professor's style of "pitching" the trilogy of revolutionary stories to us in hopes that one of us had connections to Hollywood. I still remember that Wolfe Tone could be cast as Christian Bale. For a 9:30am lecture, he had us laughing hysterically, while remembering key figures and dates.

The following two lecturers had no chance to reach the previous professor's heights. Perhaps the Irish Film lecture could have been as memorable if the professor included a clip from my childhood favorite: "War of the Buttons" (1994). Our final lecture on Irish Women Writers was interesting in their only recent rise due to the modernization of Ireland with increased women's rights.

After our lectures concluded, I visited one of the two Bank of Ireland branches on campus and opened my bank account (needed for immigration). I was unable to deposit my traveler's cheques at the branch, so instead I headed to the main branch in the old Irish Parliament building across from Trinity's main gate. The exchange rate that I had been ignoring, was made real when I deposited $1500 and was credited just under 1130 Euros. Nevertheless, since I was in the building, I explored the intact House of Lords. Unfortunately, after the Act of Union following the failed 1798 rebellion, the Irish Parliament was dissolved, and the Bank of Ireland was required to destroy the House of Commons portion when it purchased the building in the ensuing years. For fans of factoids, the Old Houses of Parliament was the first purpose-built Parliament in the world.

Old House of Lords
Soon thereafter, (as we had vowed) set off to find the departments that I was interested in. By the end of my excursion, I had traveled to Economics, Social Studies, Sociology, and Political Science (the latter two were off campus and more difficult to come across). In contrast to History, each individual in the respective departments assured me that there was no need to rush to fill out our international office forms, but that we should feel free to experiment with the classes offered so long as we have a final schedule by the 28th. Needless to write, I felt significant sense of relief.

The reason we did not have a trip into the city for SSP was because the International Office hosted a general reception open to all visiting students that night. The reception was held in the cloak room of the main dining hall and featured a light fare including red and white wines. During the reception, I met a few other Americans, and Russell, a Trinity student from Donegal, who had come along to help with earlier tours on the urging of a friend.

Later that night, Russell brought the gang to the nearby pub of McTurtles which featured (finally) student-priced drafts at 3.50 euro. We stayed there long into the night debating everything from religion to sport and politics. An affordable place with a great atmosphere, we will be sure to venture there throughout the semester.

No comments: