Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Endless Immigration

Studying or staying in Ireland for an extended period of time is easy for people from most countries. Instead of applying for a visa in advance, you just need to register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau once you arrive. As you go through customs, the GNIB agent will stamp your passport with a designated period of time to report to the GNIB to register (with the necessary paperwork and 150 euro fee). Most people get around a month - I got two.

Since I assume that I need to be registered before I will be able to travel and reenter the country, I used my day off today to visit the GNIB - a 5 minute walk from Trinity, along the Liffey. I had heard horror stories of people waiting in line for hours, and I had fully intended on arriving as early as possible (student registration starts at 9 AM). Unfortunately, there was the matter of paperwork. I still had to gather two more documents before I could register, my official statement of balance from the Bank of Ireland (minimum 1000 euro) and a letter from the International Office stating that I am a registered student at Trinity. I had already gotten my document from the Fees Office stating that my tuition had been paid and I had evidence of private medical. Unfortunately the International Office does not open until 9:30 AM and the Bank did not open unil 10:30 AM. In addition, I learned that the BOI branch closest to Goldsmith does not issue currency (unless through the ATM), and so I had to go to the main branch opposite the main entrance to campus.

After running back and forth a few times, I had gathered all my required documents, and I headed to the GNIB (around 11 AM). Once inside, I realized that I would be there for an extended period of time. Nearly every seat in the waiting room was full, and to even get in line for an agent, you had to wait in a separate line to receive a ticket for the queue. By the time that I finally received my ticket, which involved a cursory look at my passport, I was number 156 with 71 people in front of me.

For anyone who has ever complained about the DMV, they have not waited in the Irish immigration queue. There averaged between 6 to 8 agents working at one time, with a number called every 3 or so minutes. I spent most of the time switching between solitaire and sudoku on my phone, and just hoping that the line would suddenly accelerate. It did not. I finally reached an agent around 2:30 PM.

At that point, it was very quick, he glanced over my documents, took a picture of me, and then asked for the 150 euro - payable by credit card or bank giro only. As I probably should have expected (but nowhere displayed), they did not accept American Express. Instead I took the giro form (not willing to pay the fees associated with my BOA VISA debit card), but before I left, the agent told me that it would be faster to use my BOI debit card if it arrived - as I had indicated - this week.

So after several hours at the GNIB, I am still not quite finished. Fortunately I will not have to wait in the huge line when I return to pay my registration fee, but I am not looking forward to returning to the office.

Pretty exhausted - and still not having had lunch - I headed in the direction of the Tesco. On the way, I grabbed a haircut for 8 euro (just before the offer ended), and grabbed a quick lunch, sadly, at the Burger King next to the Tesco - the cheap student restaurant under Goldsmith was closed.

Tomorrow I have my first lectures in Ireland in the 20th Century, Comparative Welfare States, and the Irish Economy. There are no tutorials during the first two weeks, so my otherwise busy Tuesday will be relatively free. Hopefully I enjoy the classes (with Monday lectures!), as I have the first two weeks to figure out my schedule.

Full Dublin Album

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha I can say I feel your pain. Spent today 5AM-3PM at Galeao International registering with the Feds today. At least here it's one and done, in Buenos Aires I wasted about a total of 4 days in queues alongside immigrants.

JAlves6 said...

Well now I'm thankful that it only took four hours.